When winter comes, don’t be so worried if your heater breaks down! If you don’t know, there are different ways to keep your home warm without using a heater.
A fireplace is an amazing method of heating your home without the use of a heater or furnace. In fact, most homeowners maximize their fireplaces usage during the colder months and minimize the use of furnaces and heaters. This is am energy and money saving method. And also provides effective heating.
Seal Windows and Doors Properly
Windows and doors that leak let warm air out and cold air in. So, it’s important to air seal your home properly. A way to detect drafts is by using your hand – check for cool spots around the door and window openings. Or just get an energy audit to figure out where the leaks are exactly and best way to seal them.
Maximize Nature’s Warmth
- Strategically using the sun, and placing trees and shrubs keeps your home warm when it’s cold.
- Placement of a row of evergreen trees protects your home from harsh winter winds.
- Planting of bushes and shrubs around the perimeter of your home serves an insulator during winter.
- Shrubs trap snow and reduce drifts when placed along the most windy area of your home.
- Protect your home from cold winter winds by using dense windbreaks.
- Be sure the winter sun reaches windows facing south.
- Make efforts to get enough sun in the house during the day.
- Close the drapes at sunset to keep heat in.
Shut the Door!
A closed door is a simple but powerful way of keeping your home warm. It prevents loss of air in the room; hence, conserving heat and reducing its loss .
Use More Rugs and Carpeting
Rugs and carpeting function as insulation to keep heat in the desired area. Liberally using rugs and carpeting in bigger rooms help to maintain warmth in the room without a heating source.
Candles and Lighting
Compact fluorescent counterparts (CFLs), unlike the traditional incandescent light bulbs, are energy efficient but if you want to keep your home warm without a heater, then you should turn on the lights. Traditional incandescent light bulbs generate some amount of heat; and candles will create light that emits heat, but not as much as the light bulbs.
Cooking is also an effective ways to keep your home warm without using a heater! Stoves and ovens generate so much heat; so you can take advantage of this to get in the kitchen and cook some tasty meals, bake desserts and turn your cooking space to the warmest room in the house! We assure you that with all the warmth and delicious food in the kitchen, your family and friends will convene there and you will get to share quality time with every one of them!
While these are great tips on how to warm your home without a heater, there’s nothing quite like an energy efficient heating system when it gets really cold!